The thoughts, sewing projects, and fabric oglings of a dedicated sewist.

New bag, new skirt

10/7/11
This was a fun sewing week.  I figured out how to work with loose-weave wool, made a new bag, and finished work on an experimental skirt for my friend Diane. 

Diane is fun to sew for because she has a good sense of style and what works for her, but she also likes to experiment.  She picked this Amy Butler fabric and wanted a fun skirt made out of it:


We kicked around a bunch of ideas and finally decided on a grey yoke and hem band to frame the fabric, and some slight gathering at the top of the skirt to play with the lines.  At the last minute I decided it needed a second hem band and here's how it turned out:





I also tried out a new bag design based on a request from K, who attended the first skirt party.  She wanted a clutch with Joel Dewberry's woodgrain fabric.  And here it is:



I made two to make sure that I got the technique down.  I may keep this one for myself or put it up on Etsy as my shop has been looking a bit bare lately!




All in all, a fun, challenging week!  I'm going to finish up working on some other bags this weekend and then next week I'm on to designing a yoked pencil skirt.  B picked out some fantastic fabric for these that I'm excited to work with!

Post Comment
Post a Comment