The thoughts, sewing projects, and fabric oglings of a dedicated sewist.

Another Variation on the Simplicity 2580/New Look 0172 Hybrid

5/6/13
Oh yes I did.  I made another variation on my favorite pattern combo, that sweet marriage of Simplicity 2580 and New Look 0172.  I was feeling a bit down this weekend and hadn't sewn for myself in a while, and this was just the fix I needed to get some mojo back.

By the way, I can't find a picture of this New Look pattern anywhere online - it's like it doesn't really exist.  I found mine on a sale rack at Hancock's and it could have been sitting there a good long time.  I don't think I ever wrote about the straight-up version of this I made for myself, so here it is:



I don't really like how the pattern calls for just a thin piece of elastic in back, so when I made this for a client, I created a back band and that's the way I've made this pattern ever since.



But back to my new dress.  This time I lengthened the Simplicity 2580 bodice by three inches so that the front/back band would end up around my natural waist.  I also shortened the skirt by the same amount (from the top).  I experimented with a different back alteration to combat my ongoing upper back/lower neck gaping, and I think it worked.  This time I did a high round back alteration which was a bit counter-intuitive, but I think it might be right and, since it's an easy alteration to make, it could become my go-to.  Here's what the pattern pieces looked like after all my futzing around:


Back bodice with 3 inches added to length.


Close up of high round back alteration.  I added a center back seam and then
curved it more at the top after trying it on mid-construction.


3 inches folded up on skirt

I used the band from New Look 0172 for the waist (when folded in half, the band has ruching on one side and is flat on the other).  And voila!



The fabric is an ITY from GorgeousFabrics.com (big surprise, huh??) and it's called Evening Windows.  It actually has some sparkle in it that you can't see in this picture.  I've had it in my stash since last summer so it is, alas, no longer available.  I love these colors!

It's a little hard to see because I forgot to move my hair out of the way, but the top has a cowl neck:



And check out the upper back!  No gaps!

 
 
I don't know if you can see it very well, but on the back of my left arm there's a faint scar line.  This is from a sewing injury.  I was sewing on the machine and reached behind myself without looking to grab something.  Unfortunately I had left my iron facing the wrong way and I seared my arm.  Mmmm yum, BBQ-ed Lisa.  Anyone else have a good story about a sewing-related injury?
 
UPDATE: You can find more info on the New Look pattern and a picture of my hack back band here.
 
15 comments on "Another Variation on the Simplicity 2580/New Look 0172 Hybrid"
  1. Looks like you nailed the alterations and achieved a perfect fit. Such a pretty dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flip flops outside. I'm still sitting around with layers on and I'm cold!! The dress is a great piece, wonderful with flip flops and all the more gorgeous dressed up. Cute top. I think you have a thing for purple!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo! Your latest Simplicity 2580 is a knock-out! It's really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ladies! And yes, Rhonda, I do have a thing for purple (more specifically, fushia & magenta) this year. I seem to have a yearly color fling - last year it was teal, this year it's purple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty fabric! You look good in those magentas and purples. My worst sewing injury was stepping on a pin and having it stick halfway out of my big toe. It was even worse getting it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooch, that sounds bad. Who did the pulling?

      Delete
  6. Beautiful dress! I had a run-in with the evil iron as well! I went to pick it up without looking,it was facing the wrong way and I burned all my fingertips.Spent the rest of the day with my fingers submerged in a glass of cold water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oww! That sounds horrible. Do you have any fingerprints left on that hand?

      Delete
  7. Love your new dress! the colors are great! Could you post a picture of the New Look pattern - might help up find it or remember if we have it in our stash. I love the waistband treatment you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jsews! See the next comment where Anon supplies the real pattern number. I'll go take a picture of my drafted piece so that I can show folks what that looks like.

      Delete
  8. New Look 0172 = New Look 6164

    http://www.simplicity.com/p-8087-misses-knit-sportswear.aspx

    Patterns displaced on top of the metal cabinets sometimes have different numbers than the ones inside.

    sactdl2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! placed not displaced.

      sactdl2

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Anon! That helps clear things up!

      Delete